British Independent Retailers Association (BIRA)
BIRA represents thousands of independent retail businesses across the UK. Members range from single retail outlets and small chains to large department stores and agricultural dealerships.
BIRA is a founding partner of Zero Carbon Business.
Why net zero is important for independent retailers
The UK government is committed to reaching net zero emissions by 2050. There is a growing expectation that customers and government regulations will require you to reduce your carbon footprint.
By using energy more efficiently, investing in renewables or switching to electric vans, you can reduce your emissions and make significant annual savings. By sourcing sustainable materials and packaging you can also help to reduce supply chain emissions.
Top links for independent retailers:
- Plan your net zero journey: get tailored advice
- What is net zero?
- Reporting and reducing emissions: what you must do
- Electric vans: everything you need to know
- Refrigerated goods: energy saving measures
- Sustainable packaging
- Reducing waste
- Switching to renewable energy
- Grants and support
Dumbarton convenience store will save £3,000 a year on energy bills after installing air source heat pump and new refrigeration units
More from Zero Carbon Business
- Calculate your carbon emissions
- Track and share your carbon emissions
- Reducing supply chain emissions